Thursday, July 14, 2005

Another Place

Another Place

This is from the huge new artwork by Antony Gormley currently to be seen at Crosby beach near Liverpool - a hundred metal casts of Gormley's own body are placed along nearly two miles of shoreline, many disappearing under the waves at high tide. An really impressive spectacle, and quietly poignant too.

I've just got back from a trip to London - must admit it did feel strange to be travelling there so soon after the attacks, and I did indeed get stuck on a stiflingly hot tube line for a while because of a security alert. But despite that things seemed to be business as usual in the capital, which can only be a good thing ... a veteran who was travelling into London for the 60th anniversary of the end of World War 2 was interviewed by the BBC and just said "We've been through all this before. Nil desperandum", which seemed to sum up the response of Londoners to the tragedy.

So, as for photo business as usual, I saw Lise Sarfati's new American Series exhibition at the Photographer's Gallery, which I enjoyed a lot. Also managed to finally get hold of a copy of Trent Parke's book Dream/Life, which I've wanted for a long time. He has apparently just completed a major new body of work based on a few years of constant travel around Australia which I'm looking forward to seeing very much.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

I have seen photos of this on many sites, but I think yours is one of the best I've seen. I love the b&w.

2:21 pm  
Blogger David Bennett said...

Thanks very much Sarah.

10:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home